Purch is on a mission to make complex buying decisions easy. And with over 110M visits every month on sites such as Tom’s Guide, Top Ten Reviews, Laptop Mag or Space.com, we are the largest technology and science media company in the US.
Do you have strong feelings about how the iPhone X compares to Google’s Pixel 2 XL? Do you devour any tidbit of news you find about Red Dead Redemption 2? We’re looking for a certified geek to take the social media presence of our technology brands, Tom’s Guide and Laptop, to the next level. You may also be called to pinch hit for some of our other brands, such as Space.com, Live Science or Newsarama. We’re a growing team, so flexibility and an ability to collaborate with enthusiasm is a must!
This editorial position is located in our NYC office. The person we hire will support and inspire our editorial teams by finding new, creative and effective ways to build the audience of our brands using social media including: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat, WeChat, Flipboard and beyond.
In this role, you will be a problem solver, seeking creative solutions to our social media needs, whether it’s crafting new Instagram campaigns, finding ways to expand our Facebook audience or developing our Snapchat strategy. As a social media strategist, you will be responsible for the development of a work-flow process of your own that focuses on efficiency and quality and—most importantly—results.
• You will be at the helm of all social media channels for your brands, creating posts and content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and more on a daily basis. You’ll be responsible for the brand voice and for engaging with readers across platforms.
• Take the lead on creating posting schedules and strategies, evaluating their efficacy and adjusting accordingly using our posting tools, or other software as needed.
• Work closely with the editorial, video and photo teams to both brainstorm ideas to drive social media engagement, get ahead of trending topics and to create content that will help bolster your efforts.
• Devise new and creative ways to leverage social media to grow our audiences and brand reach.
• Keep track of social media analytics and be able to report on success/growth initiatives, and utilize analytics data to inform decision-making.
• Juggle multiple tasks at once, and prioritize them by communicating effectively with stakeholders including the social team, editorial and marketing.
• Look for new opportunities to partner with existing brands, vendors or other outlets to help expand our audience.
• At least 3 to 5 years of on-the-job news/editorial experience, ideally in both editorial and/or social media, working at a digital media brand that publishes multi-platform content and/or publishing.
• Must demonstrate, using metrics from your direct experience, a track record of success in leveraging social media to grow audiences and/or drive referrals from social media platforms back to the branded website.
• Must excel when it comes to social media best practices—leveraging text, video and photography—with evidence of your current use of social (personally or professionally) including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, WeChat, Flipboard, and other platforms.
• Must be a data geek! Experience leveraging analytics data including Google Analytics, Parse.ly, and the analytics offered by other social media platforms to identify growth opportunities and risks/challenges is required.
• Must have direct experience using paid boosting strategies and operational tactics, to drive social media success.
• Must be a news junkie and think like a journalist. A love of technology, science and staying on top of all things geek will make your life better in this role.
• Must be flexible. You’ll be working in the heart of the newsroom, and news doesn’t operate on a 9-to-5 schedule. Special events, product launches and other developments could happen at odd hours.
• A journalism undergraduate degree and/or editorial experience writing or editing copy or video on a daily basis is preferred.
NOTE: In your cover letter please include links to your social media work/accounts
Salary: 60k – 70k